NJ PBS to honor community leaders and organizations who have contributed to New Jersey’s perseverance and growth throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond
May 27, 2021 – Newark, NJ – NJ PBS, New Jersey’s public television network, announced it will be broadcasting its 2021 Gala Benefit on Wednesday, June 2 at 7 p.m. on NJ PBS (check local listings). Proceeds from the event will support the mission of the network to provide New Jersey and its neighbors with statewide news, programming and special events. Those wishing to make a contribution may visit the NJ PBS Gala Benefit web page, mynjpbs.org/gala2021.
“While we miss seeing our guests in person, we are delighted to have a platform to reach beyond a ballroom to connect with a much larger audience through the power of television and online streaming,” said NJ PBS General Manager John Servidio. “This year, our event celebrates some of the individuals and organizations whose leadership has helped New Jersey communities navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic in ways that will grow the state’s future.”
The hour-long NJ PBS Gala Benefit will be hosted by the network’s former news anchor Mary Alice Williams and honor the following individuals and organizations for their contributions to the Garden State:
- BD, which has led the expansion of testing for the coronavirus and delivery of COVID-19 vaccinations in New Jersey and around the world
- The Community Food Bank of New Jersey, which has provided services to the rising number of food-insecure Garden State residents
- Dr. Shereef Elnahal, who has led University Hospital in Newark through the challenges of being one of the first affected by the COVID-19 crisis
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, a leader in testing, health care and vaccinations, and helping their members manage routine medical care
- Kimberly Dickstein Hughes, State Teacher of the Year in 2020, who hosted our Learning Live series which brought classroom learning into the homes of hundreds of thousands of New Jersey school children
- Ørsted, a sustainable clean energy leader for New Jersey and an important source of economic growth throughout the pandemic
“This year’s honorees have provided creative and responsive leadership for New Jersey throughout the last year and helped forge a path forward for us all,” said NJ PBS Board Chair Scott Kobler. “We are proud to have them as neighbors and community members and look forward to sharing their part of the story during our broadcast event.”
The Gala Benefit is a tradition for New Jersey’s public media network and a major fundraiser for the nonprofit organization. Support for the 2021 NJ PBS Gala Benefit is provided by RWJBarnabas Health, NJM Insurance Group, Bank of America, BD, Prudential Financial, PSEG, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, The Ocean Wind Project, McCarter & English, LLP, The MCJ Amelior Foundation, Atlantic Health System, Caucus Educational Corporation, Josh Weston, Dick and Kayla Pechter, Bernie and Ann Flynn, and Governor Thomas H. Kean.
2021 NJ PBS Gala Benefit logo